Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

DIY Heart Crayons

Time to Re-Use!


I got bored the other night while my kids were asleep and my fiance was at work. I was picking up all the broken crayon pieces that my daughters had dumped out in my floor. I remembered that I bought a heart ice cube tray out of a discount basket at The Dollar General  right after Valentines day. 

I was going to try and make Heart Crayons!

My only problem was that I wasn't sure if the ice cube tray would melt if I put it in the oven for a few minutes. I decided to try things a different way without putting anything in the oven.

What you need


Pot of water
Aluminum Pie Pan
Broken Crayon pieces in different colors
Shaped Ice Cube Tray or mold
Stove
Small stick
Oven Mit (So you don't get burnt)

Directions

I started out by getting the pot of water starting to boil. You don't want it boiling to much or it will tip off the pie pan.

Put the pie pan on top of the pot of water and add a few broken crayon pieces. Crayola works best, the other brands don't melt very well. 


The crayons will start to melt, Use the stick to move around the crayon pieces to get them to finish melting.



Once you have liquid crayon wax, use your mit, grab the pie pan slowly and carefully pour the wax into the molds.


Pour slowly so you don't get burnt or make a mess. The colors will start to mix and make a pretty swirl effect. If you used black or gray, those colors will be dominant. 


Repeat the above steps until you are happy with the amount of crayons you have poured.

You can either let your crayons sit on the counter and air dry or you can set them in the freezer to cool. 


After they dry, pop out your crayons and start coloring!

These would make cute little gifts. Pair a few heart crayons with a coloring book and you got the perfect gift for any little artist!

Purchase the supplies needed for this DIY Project with the Mystikit Button below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...