Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Make Your Own Shrunken Heads this Halloween!


Halloween is right around the corner, creeping up on us slowly but surly. Last month I started searching for DIY Halloween ideas. Holidays can be so pricy if you let it. I do my best NOT to let it! So I have been searching for all kinds of ideas, like -  Spooky decorations, Creepy Recipes and Costume Ideas! While I was searching I came across this really neat Shrunken Head How-To! I haven't tried it yet but I will defiantly be doing this with my kids next month. I believe my step-son, AJ, will LOVE this!! If you try it out, take pictures and let me know how it works!

Shrunken Apple Heads



These shrunken heads are made from peeled, carved, and dried apples. They're as spooky as the scariest Halloween masks and I LOVE them!-- Thry can be lots of fun to make and can be a project for the whole family! You can transform an apple into a frightening lil'  fruit.
Any variety of apple will work, but Granny Smiths are perfect for this project due to their round shape.

You will need
  • Firm, unbruised apple (Preferably Granny Smith)
  • Knife
  • Marker or pencil
  • 1 cup lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • Stick or branch
Shrunken Apple Head Directions:

1. Peel and core the apple.
2. Using a pencil/marker, draw facial features onto the apple. Including: eyes, a nose, and a mouth. Be sure to draw the features large enough so they won't disappear once the apple shrinks.
3. Using the outlines as your guide, carve the apple to resemble a skull.
4. Combine lemon juice and salt in bowl. Soak the apple for 30 seconds and then  dry.
5. Set the apple in a warm, dry spot. After several days, the apple will start to shrink, and the features will distort.
6. Insert a stick or branch into the bottom of the head and place it in a vase!!

SPOOKY!!! I love it!


Spooky Craft Found at www.marthastewart.com





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...